Animanager is a command line anime and manga Swiss army knife.
The rewrite 0.10.0 is out! Use 0.9.0 to migrate the old database to the new version.
Animanager is currently undergoing a large rewrite. The rewrite includes two
major changes: moving from MyAnimeList to AniDB and rewriting Animanager's
The first change, moving to AniDB, was motivated by the following factors:
- MyAnimeList is inaccurate and messy (no standard for how to deal with OVAs
and specials, no standard for how to name series).
- AniDB contains more detailed information.
This necessitates the following other changes:
- Database format will be changed completely to compensate for the extra
information and different information format of AniDB.
The second change, rewriting the user interface, involves moving to a
shell-like command line interface, from the old process command based model.
This was motivated by the following factors:
- Python's startup time, coupled with Animanager's own startup time, is very
- By maintaining a CLI session, Animanager can keep an in-memory cache to
speed up operations.
- Animanager's new database schema (motivated by the AniDB switch) is less
efficient for certain operatings, necessitating caching.
- Animanager usage fits better with the CLI model. Comparatively, the old
model was better for scripting, which is a smaller use case for Animanager.
The new model will still support scripting.
Information about database migration will be included in the final 0.8
release, which will be published once 0.9.0 is finalized.